Few companies can afford to make legal mistakes when they’re just starting out. That is why a small business lawyer is a smart initial capital expenditure.
But why choose the services of these lawyers? The reasons have to do with how hard the lawyer works for their client, among other things.
Many people will recommend you get a general practice lawyer because they have cheaper rates.
While this may be true sometimes, their services won’t be enough.
We’re not saying general lawyers don’t know their stuff, but it’s better to get a lawyer whose practice focuses on yor area of law. one. Eventually, you will get referred to one.
A specialized small business lawyer is better equipped to deal with your needs. The law is a complex and lengthy subject. General lawyers may dabble in many of its areas, but they almost never go into specifics.
You’d be surprised just how many things can go wrong for the average business owner without the help of a lawyer. Just take a look at how many responsibilities they have:
Responsibilities of a Small Business Lawyer
To improve your company image and operations, your lawyer needs to do any and all of the following:
- Handle your lawsuits. Many people wait until it’s too late to get a lawyer. You can’t usually get one on short notice, so you should keep regular contact with one.
- If you have a lease on your office or company building, you need a small business lawyer to negotiate it.
- Want to file a trademark for your brand or a patent for your product? Lawyers can do just that.
- If you work in the IT industry, you will need someone to draft your end-user license agreement (EULA).
- Certain businesses may have unruly employees. Your lawyer can advise you when it’s time to terminate their contract, and can help file the paperwork.
- They can oversee any corporate meetings and discuss the legal framework with all parties involved.
As we mentioned in the beginning, it’s better to seek the aid of a professional. You don’t want a general attorney to refer you to another two or three lawyers.
Most small businesses can’t handle that financial stress. And even if they could why should you waste time with so many people? It’s already hard enough running a small business nowadays.
If you’re in the market for a lawyer for your business, be prepared to look for the following qualities:
- An analytical mind and strong advocacy skills
- Skilled communicator in both writing and direct speech
- High intelligence, although this is inferred from the above
- A passion for his or her work. You don’t need someone who will only work for the paycheck
There’s a highly tangled web of laws you have to respect when opening and running a small business. It’s no wonder it is the first thing company owners look into. You avoid a lot of headaches this way.
If you find yourself in that situation, call us today. We will assist your business in any way we can.